Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Volunteering

I spend an hour a week volunteering at the Samaritan House, a shelter for homeless that helps people get back on thier feet. My position is "clothing room attendant" basically I am a personal shopper for the homeless, the fashionista in me comes out. Really I just chat with people and help them find what they are looking for. Most of the people are in such good sprits too. I love talking with them and hearing thier stories. One lady was an engineer with 2 degrees making oodles of money and was laid off. She clearly made some poor financial decisions to land herself in the shelter but it's tough out there! Another guy yesterday said he went to the doctor to get the battery replaced in his pace maker but they won't replace it for him becuase he is a recovering addict.... hmmm not sure about this one, this touches the health care subject which I really don't want to get into right now. Anyway, I love talking to these people, they always lift my mood! If I am having a bad day, or week it is always refreshing to hear their stories, see thier smiles and know that I got it pretty good.
Cheers,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment